Tom Ford gives 5 rules to live by as a Modern Gentleman
Born in Austin, Texas, Tom Ford has revolutionized the fashion and film world through his directing, clothing and shoes, lookbooks, eyewear and interest in provocative imagery. In the Spring/Summer 2011 issue of Another Man, Ford gives the public five rules to live by if one wants to be a modern gentleman in the 21st century. Emphasizing ideals such as respect, an open mind and hard work, Ford promotes becoming the best person one can be.
1. You should put on the best version of yourself when you go out in the world because that is a show of respect to the other people around you.
2. A gentleman today has to work. People who do not work are so boring and are usually bored. You have to be passionate, you have to be engaged and you have to be contributing to the world.
3. Manners are very important and actually knowing when things are appropriate. I always open doors for women, I carry their coat, I make sure that they’re walking on the inside of the street. Stand up when people arrive at and leave the dinner table.
4. Don’t be pretentious or racist or sexist or judge people by their background.
5. A man should never wear shorts in the city. Flip-flops and shorts in the city are never appropriate. Shorts should only be worn on the tennis court or on the beach.